© Getty Images / Westend61
Lentils have many positive effects on well-being and health, and are tasty and versatile. Lentils are an important protein source, especially for vegetarians and vegans. The colorful legumes are also full of important ingredients. These five reasons why every kitchen should use lentils.
1. Lentils – a vitamin supply and a healthy immune booster
Lentils support the immune system as they provide many important ingredients.
- Vitamin B1: Humans cannot store large amounts of vitamin B1. Lentils are a great source of vitamin B1. Vitamins support metabolic processes and affect the regeneration of the nervous system after illness. Vitamin B1 is known to boost the immune system, especially in older women.
- Niacin or Vitamin B3: Among other things, vitamins contribute to maintaining a healthy skin structure and mucous membranes. Also, niacin can reduce fatigue and fatigue. Like vitamin B1, it affects metabolism and supports the nervous system.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 supports various hormonal activities and has a positive effect on the immune system.
- Folic Acid: It also belongs to B vitamins, supports the formation and regeneration of cells, the formation of mucous membranes and blood cells, and accelerates metabolic processes. The body needs folic acid, especially during pregnancy, to develop the fetus’ nervous system.
In addition to various B vitamins, lentils also contain a variety of minerals. They contain potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. They also provide the body with iron, manganese, nickel, selenium and zinc.
2. Lentils, Friends of Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
Lentils contain a lot of valuable dietary fiber. First of all, it has a low glycemic index (GI), which causes blood sugar to rise low. GI refers to how much carbohydrates in a food increase blood sugar levels. Regular consumption may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and keep blood sugar fluctuations low in people who are already sick.
3. Delicious filling – lentils in all variations
Tasty, easy to prepare and the perfect filler: thanks to its carbohydrates, high protein content and plenty of available fiber, you will feel full for a long time. Blood sugar levels rise steadily and slowly, which can help prevent future food cravings.
4. Protein Source: Lentils are full of protein.
Dried lentils are an important protein source for vegetarians and vegans. Plant foods contain a variety of amino acids that are the basic building blocks of protein. Lentils are particularly impressive because of their lysine, while legumes have only small amounts of methionine and cysteine. Along with grain products, the body gets all the important proteins.
5. Lens – Perfect for portraits.
Lenses have high energy density. However, lentils are quantitatively low in calories, so they can help you lose weight or stay in shape. Also, legumes contain very little fat.
cooking with lentils
Lentils can be used in several ways. It tastes especially good in warm stews and soups in winter. A healthy lentil soup recipe can be found here.
Updated: October 21, 2021
Author: Alexandra Maul, News Editor