A French woman living in the Essonne region near Paris was almost completely paralyzed after eating an expired vegetable soup. The woman suffered from a life-threatening poisoning and she has little chance of recovery, a family friend told the media earlier this week.
At the Pasteur Institute, a leading medical research center, scientists discovered that the soup was contaminated with botulinum toxin, a poisonous toxin that paralyzes muscles.
“It is currently the most powerful poison of all known poisons. It has no particular odor and no particular taste. In case of doubt, for example, if the packaging swells up or if the poison produces a lot of gas, it is best not to eat it,” said Christelle Mazuet of the Pasteur Institute. This explains.
A week and a half later, doctors found out that the woman was suffering from botulism. Since then, she has been treated at the Pitié Salpêtrière hospital in Paris.
The expiration date for this vegetable soup is August 4th, so it’s already expired 3 weeks ago. Fraudulent investigators found soup in the woman’s refrigerator. This was announced by the local health authority ARS.
The soup maker said it was “taking this information very seriously” and is helping the investigation. He also responded to family concerns about why the other 630 soups sold at the supermarket in question are not being recalled. The product in question has an expiration date of August 4 and has been on display in supermarkets for a month.
The expiration date is not the same as the expiration date.
Food is usually marked as having the best shelf life. After this date, the product is still edible, as it is usually not by the expiration date.
Why: Shelf life only shows when a product retains properties such as taste or smell when stored properly. Therefore, such foods do not automatically spoil when their expiration date has passed.
On the other hand, expired foods are often perishable. They are also marked differently – they say “user”.