woman on the grill
Lentil Soup – with Fixing Tips
June 1, 2022 at 2:50 PM (Updated)
Lentil soup is innumerable. But they all have one thing in common. They are excellent at keeping body and soul on their toes or back to toes. This post is about basic recipes and how to modify lentil soup.
Of course the lens. Here everyone can choose their favorite variety from the supermarket shelves. Also good: some soup vegetables with parsley or magi herbs, ie robage, depending on availability. Garlic and onion are essential, and a few bay leaves go well together.
This, of course, should be decided before cooking. At least as to the question: Bacon – yes or no? If so, consider frying them in a pan before adding them to the cooked lentils to give them a little roasted flavor on the way out of the soup. And if you plan to add cabano seeds to the soup during the cooking process, it’s a good idea to cut them into small pieces. Sausages give the soup a great flavor. Also, there is no need to cut the sausages on a plate or before serving.
Isn’t that puree?
Matters of taste: Purifying parts of the soup (but take the part in question out of the pan, otherwise the sausages and bay leaves can also be chopped) will give the soup a creamier consistency. Of course you can play here. First puree 20% of the soup and stir again. Consistency is fine. good. If not: Puree 20% more of the pot contents.
4 liters of water
5 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp lard (or oil)
Pork Belly (smoked) 450g
1 kg of soup vegetables
5 bay leaves
250 ml vinegar
1 bunch parsley
Now let’s move on to the interesting part. Some people may find lentil soup to be too boring. For example, you have the following options:
- American variation: “refined” with BBQ sauce and use minced meatballs as meat inserts.
- Asian version: saute onions, add ginger and lemongrass, and season with cilantro and cumin.
- Spanish variant: Chorizo cut into small pieces and brought to a boil.
- Hungarian variant: Thin Hungarian salami is cut into small pieces and added to the dish.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 75 minutes
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and simmer the covered lentils topped with bay leaves and garlic for about 30 minutes. (Take off any leftovers from cooking with a slotted spoon.)
- In the meantime, cut the vegetables and smoked bacon into small cubes.
- Place the lard in the pan and omit the bacon cubes.
- Add the onion and stir-fry, then add the potatoes to the pan and the lentils to the soup vegetables.
- Cut the cabano seeds into pieces and add them together.
- Now cover all ingredients and cook over medium heat until desired consistency, about 30-50 minutes.
- Then season with salt and pepper.
Anja Auer is the editor of BBQ&Food magazine “Die Frau am Grill”. Most of her recipes are successful not only on the grill, but also on the stove and oven. If you want to know more about it, you can watch the woman working on the grill on YouTube or read her blog.
(This article was first published on Thursday, April 7, 2022.)